Creative Ability Development
Teacher Training – Summer 2022
is tentatively scheduled for August 6-13!
2022 CAD Retreat
will likely happen in February around Presidents Day (2/21). Details posted soon!
2021 CAD Teacher Training:
This summer the Kanack School of Musical Artistry will be offering two overlapping courses:
- Teacher Training and Workshop: Our traditional 5 day CAD Teacher Training for new and returning teachers where teachers are introduced (or reintroduced) to the CAD method with sessions focused on the philosophy, practical application, and benefits to the method as well as the skills and information to begin using it with students. The workshop will be available both in-person in Rochester, NY and online via Zoom.
- August 2 – 6, 9:00am to 5:00pm daily
- Tuition* = $500 for new attendees + a $15 registration fee (Tuition is free for returning teachers)
- Register HERE
- Teacher Trainer Certification: An 8 day course designed for previously trained CAD teachers with at least one year of CAD teaching experience who wish to become leaders in the world of CAD by training other teachers how to adopt CAD. In-person attendance is preferred, but online attendance will be considered.
- July 31 – August 7, 9:00am to 5:00pm daily
- Tuition* = $300 + a $15 registration fee
- Register HERE
*Financial assistance is available!
What is CAD?
Creative Ability Development (CAD) is a method that uses musical improvisation as a tool to develop the creative side of the brain. Its pedagogical purpose is to teach unique self-expression or musicality. Its philosophical purpose is to develop the ethical character of artistry in every student, which is the search for, and expression of, truth and beauty. CAD teaches students how to create together and share ideas, and inspires in each student a non-competitive internal drive for excellence. The CAD method is based on research, which explains how the process of creativity works in the brain to solve problems. Using music as a language and improvisation as a tool, the method of CAD replicates the creative process through group games and solo exercises. Through the disciplined practice of the CAD method, all students can develop their innate creativity to a very high level.
Recently CAD has begun to explore its methods using art forms other than music. We have partnered with the Garth Fagan Dance School to explore the use of improvised movement and have begun a preschool class using visual art, movement, storytelling, and music as tools to teach and grow creativity at a young age when it can be most effective. In 2018 The Kanack School of Musical Artistry will again partner with Garth Fagan Dance to bring their preschool CAD program to downtown Rochester with the support of a $25,000 challenge grant from the William G. McGowan Charitable Fund.